Protect your home from water damage 10 simple tips
Whether you’re at home or enjoying your vacation, we’re always looking for ways to make sure you’re protected from every angle and help you avoid the unexpected. Simple, proactive steps can help you minimize water damage or even prevent it from happening in the first place. Before your next vacation, use these tips to keep your home protected while you’re away.
1. TURN OFF YOUR MAIN WATER SUPPLY. Make sure everyone in your family knows where the main shutoff is located and how to use it.
2. Ask someone to stay or check on your home while you’re away and be sure they know where the main shutoff is located too.
3. Check for leaks including pipes, under your sink, near your water heater, or along the water supply lines.
4. Inspect all water supply lines inside your home and replace those that show signs of wear or have not been replaced in the last 5 years.
5. Clear your gutters so any obstructions like leaves, debris, or sticks won’t clog your gutters and lead to an overflow.
6. Inspect your roof and repair or replace any dislodged or damaged shingles.
7. If you have a sensor-based water leak detection device replace all the batteries in the sensor.
8. If you have a sump pump make sure it is in good working order and schedule annual maintenance before you leave, or add a battery-powered backup for another line of defense.
9. If you have a back-up generator make sure it is in good working order and schedule annual maintenance before you leave.
10. If you have a flow-based water shut-off device set it to “away” mode before you leave.
For questions and more information, please call your trusted agent at Wolfe Insurance Group (614) 418-5710
#ColumbusOhio #columbus #Insurance #safety #WestonWolfe #WolfeInsuranceGroup #PersonalPropertyCoverage #flood #waterdamage #pipes #home #homeinsurance #vacation